Sunday, December 7, 2014

New Opening, Cairo: Mahlab Inaugurates First Phase of New Egyptian Civilization Museum

 National Museum of Egyptian Civilization (NMEC)
Photo Courtesy Of NMEC Official Facebook Page
CAIRO: Prime Minister Ibrahim Mahlab inaugurated Saturday the first phase of the National Museum of Egyptian Civilization (NMEC) located in al Fustat city, the first capital of Egypt under Muslim rule, the Antiquities Ministry announced on its Facebook page Saturday.

The inauguration ceremony was attended by Antiquities Minister Mamdouh el-Damaty, Minister of Housing Mostafa Madboly along with an array of government officials and ambassadors.

“The NMEC is not just a museum; it is a comprehensive cultural complex demonstrating the cultural, social, economic and artistic evolution of Egypt’s 5,000 year-old history. The NMEC is the first of its kind in the Middle East as it will be dedicated to display a global view of a civilization in all its aspects” said Mahlab during the inauguration ceremony.

The NMEC’s foundation stone was laid in 2004 and the inauguration of its first phase was scheduled for 2010 but was interrupted due to the political turmoil and bureaucracy in the aftermath of the 2011 January 25 Revolution that toppled Hosni Mubarak.

“Visitors to the museum will not only explore the grandeur of the Pharaohs and queens that ruled Egypt, but will also see how Egypt, that had reached the peak of power during the New Kingdom era, has endured a decline period under the occupation made by several nations including the Hyksos, Greeks and Assyrians,” said Damaty.

The NMEC is built over an area of 130 acres with a cost estimated at 1.5 billion EGP ($ 200 million), of which 52 percent were funded by the Ministry of Antiquities and the remaining 48 percent by the UNESCO, NMEC General-Supervisor Dr. Khaled Anani told The Cairo Post Saturday.

“In regular museums, tourists view artifacts, but here, they will experience Egypt’s intangible heritage, culture and 7,000-year-old civilization through documentaries and multimedia based tools demonstrating Egyptian customs and traditions, dress, industrial and agricultural development and other aspects of daily life,” Anani previously told The Cairo Post.
Source: Cairo Post – By/Rany Mostafa 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.