Saturday, August 29, 2015
Cairo Attraction (4): Tahrir Palace-Khedival Gift to Egypt’s Foreign Ministry
CAIRO: The Italian Renaissance-inspired Tahrir Palace was built by Italian architect Antonio Lasciac over four years starting from 1889 to 1903.
Lasciac was one of the most prominent architects of the period and he was named the royal palaces’s architect in 1907 during the Khedive Abbas’ era, according to the website of the Egyptian Foreign Ministry.
The palaces “reflect the mixture between creativity of the arts and the scientific beauty in engineering way to distribute light and shadows,” the ministry added.
Royal Princess Naimatullah, who followed the Sufi order, donated the palace to the Egyptian Foreign Ministry to serve its headquarters in 1930.
The Egyptian Ministry of Antiquities does not label the palace, located in Qasr Nile of downtown, as an “antiquity.”
The palace consists of three floors; the ground one includes “the Minister’s office, big meeting room, press conference room equipped by an instant translation system, a number of salons to receive guests, and a dining room for 24 persons. The back entrance contains some pictures depicting the different phases of the palace’s construction,” according the Foreign Ministry website.
The first floor includes also an office for the minister and big hall with pictures of the royal family and former and late presidents. It also has a large dining room for 48 persons.
The thickness of wall in the ground floor is between 80 to 120 cm in length. The thickness deceases when the building goes higher as its length is between 60 to 80 cm. In the 1950s, a third floor was build.
In 2009, the Egyptian government decided to move its headquarters to the Cornish Street near Maspiro (the headquarters of Egyptian T.V. and Radio.)
Source: Cairo Post– By/Rany Mostafa
More about Cairo Attraction … CLICK HERE